kcbmwclub.com

The Official Forum for the Kansas City BMW Club
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Make a BMW E30-E36 Fan Clutch Tool
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:00 pm 
BMW Test Driver

A couple of years back after my eBay purchase of a 1984 E30 318i with a rust-free California body but a non-running engine, I went looking for tools to remove the fan clutch. Dedicated tools are of course available, but tend to be pricey.

As I was more interested in spending money to get the engine operating properly rather than on specialty tools, I took the cheap guy alternatives. I bought a big, honking 32 mm combo wrench over eBay, then made my own tool for holding the fan. These tools have become very popular here in the local Kansas City BMW CCA chapter, and I have loaned them out for use on a variety of E30's and E36's.

Because I could, I developed the pattern for the fan clutch tool in 3D CAD, to include both the 3D model and the detailed 2D drawing. Here are photos of the 3D model, the 2D drawing, and the completed wrench set:

Note that in the drawing the dimension for the handle length is kept short to keep the drawing small. The actual handle length I used was 16" or so, as can be seen in the photo of the completed tool. I used 1/8" X 2" hot-rolled steel barstock, as I recall, though there is nothing magic about the numbers.

If you are interested in making your fan clutch tool, all it takes is a drill press or at least a hand drill, a selection of bits, maybe a hacksaw, and a hand file or two. It is a very low tech operation, all in all. If you should have the good fortune to have access to a small milling machine or similar, the job becomes much less labor-intensive.

Here is the URL for the drawing if you would like to download it:

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj17 ... chTool.jpg

Alternately, I can fax a copy to a local KC number, or send the photo by e-mail if you are further away. If, however, you insist on a genuine, printed-out and mailed-to-you copy of the drawing, please contact me to discuss my engineering consulting fee schedule. :supergrin:

If I've given less information than you would like, feel free to contact me.

Digby Willard

------------------------------------

Zinnoberbrot 1988 325iX Serial number 2550674 "Sonora"; Afraid to drive until timing belt is replaced :-(

Post subject: Re: How to Make a BMW E30-E36 Fan Clutch Tool
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:04 pm 
BMW Guru

Very nice! :thumbup:

I've always just used a large flathead screwdriver to hold it, but that usually leads to busted knuckles at least once.

2003 Honda Element (Quattro) - Dog Kennel on Wheels
1995 M3 with mods n stuff - Track Wh*re - Trailing arm failure = RIP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:04 pm 
BMW Test Driver

Here is additional info for anyone interested in making a fan clutch tool:

I designed this tool to work on an M10 engine, and it does so quite well I think. Other folks have also used it on M20's with success. Yesterday, however, I tried to use the tool on an M20 myself and found it very awkward. :thumbsdown:

Doing it again to work better with the M20 engine, I would make the following changes:

1. The tool should be much narrower, perhaps 1" or so to work under the cast-iron water pipe on the front of the M20.

2. The open slot on the front is useless, really, and should be eliminated.

3. The tool needs to shortened between the slot for the bolt-head and the front end so that the front end will not hit on the next bolt-head on the short-spaced sides of the bolt rectangle. I'm not sure of what the length should be dimensionally. Time for a little trial-and error experimenting!

If anyone goes ahead with making a fan clutch tool, I would be very interested in learning how it turns out.

Digby Willard

Zinnoberbrot 1988 325iX Serial number 2550674 "Sonora"; Afraid to drive until timing belt is replaced :-(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:46 pm 

That is a pretty good idea, I used a spatula handle when I did my m20 (caffeteria style metal spatula with a hole on the end). I thought it worked pretty good and thanks to a really big pair of vice grips and a hammer my roommate never suspected. . . . <evil grin>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:17 am 
BMW Literate

nice, I should try this. I got the 32mm wrench I used to hold the clutch from a bicycle shop for $9.

06 Porsche Cayenne S